Thursday, October 11, 2012

I think I am really funny...

So here's the thing. I think I am really funny, like I crack myself up with the funny things I say and do. Unfortunately, I think I am the only person to think that I am so funny. Most people just smile, nod their heads, and look away thinking "Oh, that poor girl she thinks she is so funny, but she just isn't...". I get many a pity laugh, but I am comfortable in my own skin and I enjoy being with myself. This thought has been persisting in my mind since yesterday when me and my roomies were hanging out in our room and I kept cracking jokes, but NO ONE WOULD LAUGH! I just want sympathy from the people reading my blog, that's all :)

Anyways, I'll start sharing with all of you the other adventures I am having! Over the last week, I did three really cool things! Well, okay I'm going to be honest for a second...I am in Jerusalem, so I do cool stuff everyday, but these were just a few fun things that have been super enjoyable over the last few days!

I was in a TALENT SHOW! Remember, how a couple weeks ago I said I had JC (Jerusalem Center) Cheerleader practice? Well, our cheerleader team practice was in preparation for a TALENT SHOW! The Talent show took place last Thursday and it was seriously the funnest thing ever! We did some awesome robot moves, some gangsta moves, and pretty much looked bomb in our black sweats, white v-necks, and our high pony tails. I would like to say we were gangsta Cheerleaders :) We did a dance/cheer to the song "Everybody dance now!" and let's just say the crowd went crazy--it was a blast!
We were practicing our gangster faces :) I am pretty sure that Lo (our other roomie) is looking at us like we are crazy... :) I hope that Emily doesn't see this picture or she might be mad at me... for putting it out for the world to see...

Hehe we are SO cool! 

After this lovely talent show, I was able to go to the Israel Museum in West Jerusalem. The Israel Museum is GINORMOUS! It talks all about Judaism, the history of Israel dating back to the time of Abraham, and shows artwork from the last 2,000 years. It was a super neat place to go and I wish I could have spent more time there. The group I went with decided to walk there...let's just say that a two hour walk to get somewhere in Jerusalem is really, really long... I didn't mind the walk at all, but it was a tad' bit long. 

ME at the Shrine of the Book! The Dead Sea Scrolls are housed under this large, white fountain. I was able to go down under this dome and see some of the original Dead Sea Scrolls. 

This is a replica of the ancient city of Jerusalem during King David's time--right in front of me is the Temple Mount during the time period. This was by far my favorite thing to see. 

These were OSTRICH EGGS! They dated back like 1200 years, how neat!? 

The last adventure i am going to blog about is going to the symphony! I went to the Israel Philharmonic Symphony two nights ago and it was the neatest thing. It was a fabulous concert, they played two different concertos with a famous pianist as the main part of the first song. The second concerto was seventy minutes long,  but it was totally worth it because the  percussion section of the symphony was amazing! The percussionists played a lot of different instruments and had some of the most interesting, beautiful rhythms and melodies during the music. For all of you who don't know, I played percussion in band for seven years from middle school to the end of high school, so percussion has a special place in my heart :) 

Yay for the Symphony! 

Alright, I found this on the wall as we were leaving and I just thought it was so neat to know the times all over the world! Jerusalem is nine hours ahead of the United States which is still so crazy for me to get used to! 

To wrap up this session, I just want to show two photos of the beautiful place I am living in. Jerusalem is seriously one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived. I love the history, culture, languages, and deep passion that the people have for this country. I have a deeper appreciation, understanding, and love for this program and what it accomplishes with the people around Jerusalem, but also with the people who live here in the Center. It was described by Jeffrey R. Holland as a "piece of Zion here on the earth" which I completely believe with my whole heart. 

The Jerusalem Center is at the top of the hill, it overlooks the Kidron Valley and the Old City. 

The sunsets here are breathtaking, this was taken from the eighth floor of the Center as the sun was setting. 

Here is my final advice for those who bother to read this. 
1. Enjoy the simple things, take time to stop and take a picture of the sunset
2. Don't be afraid to say hello to people. Be friendly and make somebody's day just by saying hi.
3. Sing! Sing at the top of your lungs! Any song at any time!
4. Finally, let love guide you. Follow your heart and do the things that make you happy :) 





1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I think you are funny and you always make me smile. I'm super jealous you got to see an orchestra performance. That was something I really wanted to do, but I never found the right people to do it with. When you get home, we should go to a concert or something together.

    ReplyDelete