Wednesday, October 3, 2012

3 things I take for granted about the US, that Turkey does not have...

First off, Turkey was wonderbar and puddle-wonderful. I have no other words to describe it other than it was as tasty as the newgit in a snickers bar and it made me extremely giddy just like dancing in the rain. There are also three things I must say... I have taken three very, very dear things in the United States very much for granted since I have gone to Turkey and seen how lucky I am to have them. These three things are:

Seedless grapes

Normal, standing-up above the ground, white, Western TOILETS

Using water from the tap, any tap, anywhere, at any time

Let me expound upon these three things. First, All the grapes in Turkey have SEEDS! Really  big, yucky, brown seeds that are really hard to spit out and really gross to accidentally chew on. I really, really tried to eat seeds the first three days I was in Turkey, but I quickly gave up once I realized there was no way to salvage the problem. Second, Turkey has SQUATTER toilets. They are scary, and flat on the ground. Why in the world the Turks decided that women could squat over a hole in the ground is beyond me, but it was a very awkward experience. I had to use the SQUATTER toilets approximately two times and I have been traumatized for life. Luckily, Jerusalem has normal toilets, so I wasn't in danger for too long. Third, I brush my teeth and wash my face with the water from my tap in the bathroom, unfortunately Turkey's water is not quite sanitary. So, I was forced to use a water bottle and it's just the most unnatural feeling. I definitely take for granted tap water that I can use at any convenience. Take note of these things before you plan your trip to Turkey, other than these three things I fully recommend a vaca to good ol' Turk-a-lurk. Now onto what I did all week!

Istanbul=the best kept secret the world has to offer. Istanbul is gorgeous with lots of old buildings, beautiful architecture, a magnificent view of the Bosporous Strait, friendly people, and a busy, enthusiastic atmosphere for life. The night life is absolutely riveting with people outside at all hours going to parties, eating at outdoor cafes, and street entertainers everywhere. We spent the day touring around the major buildings that date back to Constantine's time.

Will and I are excited for Istanbul!
 The city of Istanbul at night!
 Kaylino and I in front of an ancient monument.
 Entrance to the Blue Mosque, it's beautiful!
The Blue Mosque--so incredible to look at! 
Alta and I with our scarves on before we enter the Blue Mosque :) 











 Inside the Blue Mosque

 Ceiling of the Blue Mosque
















View of the Bosporous Strait from the Topkapi palace
 Basilica Cistern underground
















The Ferry Ride :)










Gallipoli Beach--many men fighting for the Allies in World War died here, today it is a War Memorial











It's TROY time, Yes, I went to the actual city where the Odyssey and the Iliad took place. I was telling Steven how I went to Troy and he said "Wait with the big Trojan horse and Brad Pitt like in the movie?" Haha I was amused that I said Troy and automatically he would think the MOVIE--TROY! It just goes to show how boys and girls minds work differently :)

 The ramp in front of Troy
THE ACTUAL HORSE USED IN THE MOVIE TROY :)















Charlie's Angels-esque?
 Yeah, I stayed a hotel beach resort in Turkey--nbd.
Sunset was gorgeous















Swimming in the Aegean Sea! I believe this is day 3--time kind of runs together here...Oh! and we had a huge dance party that night on the beach. nbd :)











Assos! This was a tiny, little town with cobblestone streets and lots of older ladies selling their hand-woven stuff at their little stands. I loved the feeling of walking through an ancient, European city. The paths were very twisty and turny and it had a very quiet atmosphere. I think this was my favorite place overall, the view was also fantastic from the top of the mountain.


View from the top of Assos
 The ancient columns from the Temple of Artemis
Hehe we are so cool!












After Assos, we went to the Pergamum Acropolis where a huge theater sits on the side of the hill and the remains of a very large temple is at the top. We had to ride a tram to get to the top!
The stone theater
Remains of the Temple
 Hallways of the old city
Me! on the Dionysys Theater!
















Ephesus! I believe we spent our fourth day here and it was an old city along the Aegean Sea. This particular picture below is the second oldest library in the Old European world. It was massive and so neat to see in person.












This is the amazing building of Hagia Sofia. She is a pretty one that's for sure. This is where I spent my 20th birthday! I was in Istanbul going to Hagia Sofia, the Grand Bazaar, and I got to eat SUPER ICKY fish for dinner, it was a wonderful birthday :)
 The inside of Hagia Sofia--it was ginormous and so beautiful!
The columns and ceiling in Hagia Sofia.















 A real mosaic dating back hundreds of years. It was gorgeous and so impressive.
 The stained glass windows in Hagia Sofia
Me! Up on the second floor











 Me, Em-dog, and Kaylino got corn to celebrate my b-day--it was gross.
Fish! Yuck!












After the fish I flew back to to the lovely Jerusalem :) Turkey was an amazing, fun, historically-enlightening, and insightful trip, but it was good to go home to the JC--Jerusalem Center. I shall try very very hard to keep updating regularly to keep you all in the loop about my Jerusalem adventure! Miss you lots and keep commenting please :)

2 comments:

  1. Ellen,
    I don't think your mom having a baby should cause a mid-twenties crisis. Just think of all the sleepless nights and babysitting you'll get to do this summer...it will make you feel young(er)! Do they have maternity genie pants?! Just kidding. Love you and miss you sooooo much. So happy you're having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps...they had squat pots in Japan. You get used to them...it's good exercise!

    ReplyDelete