Sunday, January 27, 2013

Gordon B. Hinckley applied to the scriptures

Class #3

Acts 13: 43-44

In these verses of Acts, the apostles Paul and Barnabas are teaching the Jews in the synagogue and when the     congregation breaks up the Gentiles that had been listening outside ask Paul and Barnabas if they can be taught outside the synagogue. The exact verse is "many of the Jews and religious proselytes follow Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God." Paul and Barnabas then teach the Gentiles who are not Christians, but they want to learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ. This event was so unique to me because the night before I had read a talk by Gordon B. Hinckley about revelation and sharing the gospel with those in times of need. Gordon B. Hinckley shares a unique experience where he was at the London, England temple open house where he met a couple that was not LDS. The couple was going through the open house and the heard mention of our knowledge of families being together forever once parents are married in the temple. This couple was sitting outside the temple and they asked Gordon B. Hinckley for more information. This experience that Gordon B. Hinckley had is very similar to Paul's experience of teaching the Gentiles who did not know about the gospel of Jesus Christ. I appreciated this event being addressed in class because I feel like it taught me a lot about missionary work. People, in general, are very willing to listen to my beliefs and I enjoy answering people's questions. I just lived in Jerusalem for four months and unfortunately we were unable to talk about the gospel to the people in Israel. I am realizing just how precious of a gift I have and how I need to share it with others who don't know the same truth that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment