Monday, February 18, 2013

Baptism

The power of the priesthood

1 Corinthians 1-11
The Jews and Gentiles were both being taught the gospel at the same time by Paul and the other apostles, yet  there was some conflict about the power of the priesthood to baptize. Some people felt like if they were baptized by Paul then it was not truly being baptized through Jesus Christ. What the people had to come to understand was that no matter if you were baptized by the Savior himself or if you were baptized by one of his apostles on the earth, the priesthood is the same for whoever bears it as a worthy member of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Paul baptized many people in the name of Jesus Christ through the power of the priesthood and this is equally as good as any other apostle or prophet. I was baptized when I was eight years old by my father through the power of the priesthood. I remember feeling so happy and warm for choosing to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was my choice and I felt very happy when I chose it. The water was very warm and  my father's arms were so comforting as they held me and baptized me.
The blessings I made at baptism have stuck with me throughout my life and they have helped me to be a better me.
There are three promises we make when we take the sacrament every Sunday and these help us to remember the covenants we made at baptism. They are a willingness to take Christ's name upon us, to always remember him, and to always keep him commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment